Queen Caroline’s Bath

A view of Montagu House from the Park. The Bath House is the small building on the right with a pointed roof.


Queen Caroline’s Bath dates to around 1810 and can be found next to the park wall south of the Rose Garden. It is hidden behind a hedge that marks out the position of an old conservatory. 

The bath was part of a mansion called Montagu House and its eastern wall is now the park wall where the outline of old windows and doors can be seen. Caroline of Brunswick lived here between 1798 and 1814 as the Princess of Wales, eventually becoming Queen to William IV. 

Bathing was the height of fashion in Georgian times, with many spa towns developing around the country. This bath, or plunge pool, was built by Caroline shortly after she became park ranger in 1806. It is 1.6 metres deep with eight steps for easy access, and some of the original white tiles are still visible. The bath was once covered by an ornate pavilion-like structure/summerhouse next to the conservatory. 

Montagu House was demolished in 1815 to extend the grounds of Chesterfield House next door and make it suitable for use as the new Ranger’s House. The bath was rediscovered when the summerhouse was removed in 1890. It was put on display but became viewed as an eyesore that simply collected litter. In 1984 it was filled in with sand and paved over. The bath was excavated and re-opened in 2001 by The Royal Parks, with support from the Friends of Greenwich Park and several other local organisations and donors.